Friday, October 31, 2008

Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes #1 Review

Recently reviewed by me at CBR: Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes #1, about which I write the following sentences: "The biggest problem with 'Astonishing X-Men: Ghost Boxes' #1 isn't the content. It's the lack of content. At $3.99, you'd expect more than 16 pages of story, and rightfully so, but 16 pages is all you're going to get. To fill out the rest of the issue, Marvel provides Warren Ellis's script for this issue, but it's not particularly illuminating. It does little more than describe, briefly, the panels we've just read. Alan Moore, he is not (although at one point, Ellis writes, 'We're doing steampunk X-Men here. So everything is very lush with polished woods an leather and all, everything is extremely designed in that fin de siecle style. J#### C##### [sic], I'm turning into Alan Moore.' Hardly.)"

Read the entire review HERE.

3 comments:

Chad Nevett said...

The dude at Newsarama totally disagreed with you about this issue. I'm torn over who to trust: him or you. In 50 words or less, make the case for why I should trust your opinion over his.

AAAAAAAAAND GO!

Timothy Callahan said...

I really liked the 16 pages of story, so I can't disagree with what that guy said about the quality, but I do have a problem with 16 pages for $3.99. And he IS wrong about the script having a lot of "detail." It's a pretty sparse script and offers little added value.

Chad Nevett said...

...that was a far more serious answer than I was hoping for.

And I've read my fair share of Ellis scripts to know that he is a concise scripter--he tells the artist what he wants, but doesn't go overboard. Since an Ellis script was the first one I ever saw, when I write comic scripts, I tend to do the same.