Monday, December 13, 2010

Sketchblog Week 4: Alex Raymond Will Wait

Each week, I spend one hour a day sketching, building up a set of skills that should, we all hope, show improvement over a one-year period. Sometimes I'll draw by copying comic book artists, sometimes I'll draw from life, sometime I'll draw from how-to books, and other times, I'll just sketch with whatever is at hand. This is WEEK FOUR of a 52 week experiment to see how well I can learn how to draw.

This week got the best of me, and I did very little sketching. I don't have anything to show off, though I did study and copy about half a dozen Alex Raymond drawings from "Flash Gordon." But since I want to spend more time with Alex Raymond, and get into his "Rip Kirby" stuff too, I will make this a two-week session with Raymond. Me and Alex Raymond for 14 days, some of which will be spent sketching! Look for some of my attempts next Monday.

2 comments:

Guglie said...

can't wait pal!

Unknown said...

Tim, I just stumbled onto your blog through a few link clicks from "Comics Should Be Good". I'm so excited to find a project like you are undertaking. Things feel very homey here as an educator with a sketchblog that learned a lot from the "Draw Comics the Marvel Way".

January 1st of last year I realized that instead of constantly filling notebooks with sketches and drawings I was letting the creative well run dry. As of today I'm 13 days away from having posted a picture/doodle everyday of 2010.
I'm still no pro but things definitely got easier throughout the year.

Man do I wish I had thought about things more in the beginning and taken a more serious focused approach like you are doing. I knew I liked what a I saw here, but when I noticed you posted the around the same time I do, after midnight on a school night, I knew I would be coming back for the rest of the year.

Look forward to seeing where things go here!